HandBrake is a popular open-source program for video conversion and DVD ripping. So, is HandBrake safe for Windows or Mac? To help you better understand HandBrake, this article will tell you all information about HandBrake along with its best alternatives, such as MiniTool Video Converter.
HandBrake is a well-known transcoder for digital video files. If you want to find out whether it is safe and free to download, how to use it for video conversion and DVD ripping, and what program is better than it, then don’t miss this article.
Is HandBrake Safe?
What is HandBrake?
Handbrake is an open-source video transcoder, available for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows. With Handbrake, everyone can transcode any DVD and video to MP4, MKV, or WebM file format.
Is HandBrake free?
As an open-source video transcoder, HandBrake is 100% free.
Is HandBrake safe to download and use?
As long as you download the program from its official page, there is no need to worry about malware or viruses.
How to use HandBrake to convert videos?
First of all, free to download, install, and launch HandBrake on your PC.
Option 1. Convert a video file
- Click File to import the video that you’d like to convert.
- Open the Format drop-down list to select your desired output format.
- Click the Browse button at the bottom to specify the destination folder for the converted file.
- Hit the Start Encode button to start the conversion.
Option 2. Convert multiple video files
- Click Folder (Batch Scan) to import the folder containing all the video files.
- Open the Title drop-down list and select the first video.
- Select an output format from the Format drop-down list.
- Click Browse to specify the save path.
- Click the Add to Queue button.
- Repeat the above 4 steps to set the parameters for other videos.
- Click Queue to check all your conversion tasks.
- Tap on Start Queue to converting all the videos.
How to use HandBrake to rip DVDs?
- Insert your DVD into the computer.
- Double-click on HandBrake to launch it.
- Click the target DVD from Source Selection.
- If you want to rip a specific title, go to the Title section.
- Choose your preferred preset from the dozens of output presets.
- Hit Browse to choose the location for storing the output file.
- Click the Start Encode button at the top menu bar to start ripping DVD to video.
What is HandBrake? How to use Handbrake? If HandBrake not working, how to fix it? What’s the best setting for HandBrake? Just check out this post now.
Best Alternatives to HandBrake
Considering that HandBrake provides limited output video formats, does not support converting audio files, and lacks the function of ripping encrypted DVDs, many people are looking for more powerful alternatives to HandBrake.
Therefore, this part will detail the 8 best HandBrake alternatives. You can try any of them, especially when HandBrake not working.
Best Alternatives to HandBrake for Video Conversion
1. MiniTool Video Converter
MiniTool Video Converter ranks the first among all the best alternatives to HandBrake for video conversion.
Compared with HandBrake, MiniTool Video Converter have a more user-friendly and intuitive interface. You can finish the conversion within just a few clicks and save all converted files to the folder you pre-designated for quick access and management, no special knowledge required.
Besides, it supports 1000+ conversions between almost all video and audio formats, such as MP4, MOV, MKV, AVI, WMV, M4V, XVID, ASF, DV, MPEG, VOB, WEBM, OGV, DIVX, 3GP, MXF, MPG, FLV, F4V, M2TS, MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, AIFF, OGG, M4A, AC3, M4B, M4R, etc.
More importantly, in addition to converting video and audio files, this freeware also provides you an option to download and convert videos, audio tracks, playlists as well as subtitles from YouTube.
- Fast conversion speed
- Optional output quality
- Batch convert video/audio files
- No limits on file size
- Import a whole folder
- Dozens of ready-made output presets
- No Internet required
- Extract audio from video
- Download and convert YouTube videos
2. Format Factory
Another great alternative to Handbrake is Format Factory.
It is a powerful media converter program designed to convert almost any video/audio/image file format, for example, MP4, 3GP, MPG, AVI, WMV, FLV, SWF, MP3, WMA, AMR, OGG, AAC, WAV, JPG, BMP, PNG, TIF, ICO, GIF, TGA, and so on.
You can perform all the conversions in batch mode to save time. In addition, the software can also help you reduce the size of the file, merge multiple video files into one, repair damaged video and audio files, as well as ripping DVDs and CDs to other file formats.
- Fast batch conversion
- Divide or clip videos before converting
- Watermark output videos
- Rip CDs and DVDs
- Repair damaged video and audio files
- Create .iso images
- Download video from websites
Can’t play Xvid video files? Try an Xvid converter. With it, you can convert Xvid files into another format like MP4 for better compatibility.
3. Freemake Video Converter
The next great HandBrake alternative on the list is Freemake Video Converter.
Freemake Video Converter is a multi-functional yet free converter program. It can convert all popular and rare non-protected formats including MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MP3, DVD, 3GP, SWF, FLV, HD, MOV, RM, QT, Divx, Xvid, TS, MTS, etc.
It can not only convert a whole file but also convert just a specific segment of the original file. Apart from this, it also allows you to import photos and audio files to make a slideshow, rip unprotected DVDs with or without subtitles, and even download streaming clips from video-sharing sites.
- Convert video files of any size or format
- Extract audio files from video clips
- Download streaming clips from websites
- Cut, merge and rotate clips
- Make photo slideshows
- Rip and burn DVD/Blu-ray
4. Any Video Converter
Availability: Windows & Mac
Any Video Converter can work as an alternative to HandBrake.
Available for Windows and Mac, it is a very well-known software that supports 100+ input formats and 160+ output formats. You effortlessly convert between video and audio formats for free.
Just like other Handbrake alternatives, AVC is not limited to convert video files. It can also edit audio and video files, download videos and music from 100+ sites, and burn video to DVD.
Besides, Anvsoft Inc. also offers a premium version, Any Video Converter Ultimate, which can remove DRM protection, convert videos in batches, record video, and convert DVDs to popular video and audio formats.
- URL converting
- Basic video-editing tools
- Download online videos
- Burn video to DVD or AVCHD DVD
- Extract audio file from CDs and videos
- Record video
Best Alternatives to HandBrake for DVD Ripping
1.WinX DVD Ripper
Availability: Windows & Mac
WinX DVD Ripper is the best alternative to HandBrake for DVD ripping on the market.
It can rip any DVD to formats like MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MOV, MPEG, MP3, and so on for easier backup, archiving, editing, and sharing. When ripping, you can choose to rip the built-in subtitles or embed your own, and select which audio tracks should be included.
Besides, it also offers a paid version – WinX DVD Ripper Platinum, which features additional more input and output formats, DVD to ISO image, faster ripping speed, as well as some basic video editing features.
- Support all types of DVDs
- Fix DVD playback error
- Backup DVDs without any quality loss
- Rip DVDs for playing on iPhone & Android
- Rip DVDs to MP4
- Edit video
Availability: Windows & Mac & Linux
MakeMKV is another alternative to HandBrake that can help you rip DVDs.
It is a cross-platform transcoder that enables you to make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD. And it boasts DVD and Blu-ray decrypted functionality.
The software is capable of ripping encrypted discs into a set of MKV files, preserving all video and audio tracks, including HD audio, chapter information, and all meta information. Additionally, MakeMKV can instantly stream decrypted videos.
- Work with DVD and Blu-ray discs
- Preserve all video and audio tracks
- Keep all meta information
- Remain chapters information
- No additional software is required for decryption
Looking for a free M4A to MP3 converter? Below is a step-by-step tutorial on how to convert M4A to MP3 with the top 6 best free M4A to MP3 converters.
3. DVDFab DVD Ripper
Availability: Windows & Mac
DVDFab DVD Ripper is also a good alternative to HandBrake to rip DVDs.
It is another well-known DVD ripper that can remove DVD copy protections, and rip regular and encrypted DVDs/ISO files/DVD folders to popular media file formats and prevailing devices.
The program allows you to rip more than one title at a time, rip only the audio, specify the start point and end point that you want to be converted in a disc, and change all audio and video parameters to get the best output possible.
- Support batch conversion
- Rip DVDs to video & audio formats
- Full control over the output files
- Fast conversion speed
4. Freemake DVD Ripper
The last HandBrake alternative for DVD ripping we’d like to introduce is Freemake DVD Ripper.
Freemake DVD Ripper can decrypt DVDs and turns them into digital files in a variety of formats, like MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, WebM, 3GP, SWF, FLV, MPG, etc. Besides, it can also digitize Blu-ray discs.
The most impressive feature is that you can cut unwanted video parts before ripping DVDs, keep DVD subtitles for any device, and set a limit for the output size. If needed, you can even join several DVDs into one movie.
- Decrypt ant types of DVDs for free
- Digitize Blu-ray discs
- Maintain original quality
- Rip with subtitles
- Reduce the size of DVD videos
- Rip DVD to flash drive, cloud storage folder, or external hard drive
Is HandBrake safe? How to use HandBrake to convert videos or rip DVDs? Is there any better software than HandBrake? Hope you have figured out these questions after reviewing this post. If you have any questions or suggestions about MiniTool software, please let us know via [email protected] or share them in the comments section below.
What is frame rate? How to change frame rate of a video? What’s the best frame rate converter? What’s the best frame rate for YouTube? Just check this post now!
Is HandBrake Safe FAQ
- Overloaded CPU usage
- The DVD is scratched on the surface or damaged
- Handbrake cannot rip encrypted DVDs