MP4 is one of the most popular file formats you can see easily. Almost all systems, programs, apps, and devices give support to this multimedia container format. However, there are still some people asking how to convert a file from MP4 to MPG. Noticing this, MiniTool decided to offer different ways to help people convert MP4 to MPG (or MPG to MP4) on both Windows and Mac systems.
About MP4 and MPG
What you need to keep in mind first is that both MP4 and MPG are popular digital multimedia container formats used to store video and audio data. You can find video files saved in MP4, MPG, and other formats easily on the internet. This post will focus on the conversion from MP4 to MPG (and MPG to MP4). But before that, let’s get to know about MP4 and MPG briefly.
What Is MP4
MP4, also known as MPEG-4 Part 14, it is one of the most popular formats for video files. This MPEG-4 video file format supports streaming over the internet. The files kept in MP4 format are highly versatile and compressed. The corresponding file extension is .mp4 and it is often hidden on Windows (you can make it show up easily by changing the Folder View options – unchecking Hide extensions for known file types). In addition to video and audio data, the MP4 can also be used to store subtitles and still images.
The MPEG-4 Part 14 version was first released in 2003 while the MPEG-4 Part 12 version was out in 2001 based on Apple’s QuickTime File Format (.mov). Many other MPEG features are added to MPEG-4 Part 14.
As a result, the size of MP4 files is smaller than other video formats. Meanwhile, MP4 is widely used by movies and video clips.
People want to convert MP4 to MP3 in some cases; this post shows you how to convert MP4 to MP3 on Windows & Mac for free.
What Is MPG
MPG is a digital video format standardized by the Moving Picture Experts Group. It contains high-quality data and is used widely to create movies distributed on the internet. The MPG format can be used to store video, audio, and metadata and its file extension is .mpg.
MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 audio and video compression standards are often used by MPG format.
- Both MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 are compatible with Windows, macOS, and mobile platforms.
- The quality of MPEG-1 is lower than that of MPEG-2. The MPEG-1 is able to compress VHS video and CD audio without losing too much quality.
- MPEG-2 was developed to compress videos and audios in higher quality. It is used in TV broadcasts and DVDs.
The MPG format was used in the video files to facilitate the downloading process and save disk space.
MPG vs MPEG
MPG is also referred to as MPEG – Moving Picture Experts Group (the popular MP4 and MP3 formats are also invented by this group). You can regard MPG as the short name of MPEG. Apart from this, there is no difference between the MPG video format and the MPEG video format.
The MPG was used in the past since the older versions of file systems and operating systems are restricted to 8.3 filenames: 8 letters, a period, and a three-letter file extension. That’s why MPEG is shortened as MPG and .mpeg is shortened as .mpg.
Convert MP4 to MPG
After reading the above content, you’ll know the conversion from MP4 to MPG, and conversion from MP4 to MPEG refer to the same thing. People sometimes need to change the file format of their videos from MP4 to MPG/MPEG (convert.mp4 to .mpg). But they don’t know how to do. In this post, I’ll introduce a free MP4 to MPEG converter and shows you the exact steps to convert your video files.
How to Convert MP4 to MPEG on Windows
Stage one, you should get a reliable MP4 to MPEG converter that won’t bring any damage to your data, disk, and system. Then, install it properly on your computer.
Let’s take MiniTool Video Converter as an example. You can download it directly by clicking on the button below.
How to install MiniTool Video Converter:
- Navigate to the path where you save the setup program: vc-setup.exe.
- Double click on this application file to open the installation wizard.
- Click Yes if you see a User Account Control window asking you to allow the app to make changes to your device.
- Click on the blue Install Now button in the middle to start the installation automatically.
- You can also click on the Custom Installation button in the upper right corner to specify Language & Installation Path and decide to participate in the Customer Experience Improvement Program or not. Then, click Install Now.
- Wait for the process to complete; the progress bar will go from 0% to 100% twice.
Stage two, you need to run this MP4 to MPEG converter to convert files.
How to convert MP4 to MPG?
Step 1: run the MP4 to MPEG/MPG converter.
- Click on the blue Start Now button in the middle to run the converter at once.
- You can also click on the X button in the top right corner and choose Later On to close the current window. After that, you can run the software whenever you want by double clicking on the software shortcut added to your desktop automatically.
Step 2: load the target MP4 videos.
- Click on the Add Files button in the upper left section -> navigate to the MP4 files you want to convert -> select them and click Open.
- You can also click on the down arrow next to Add Files -> select Add Files or Add Folder -> browse and select the target files or folder -> click Open.
- Another way to load the MP4 files into the software is by clicking on the big Add files icon in the middle and selecting the target files to open.
- Please close the software and restart it if you want to enable the drag & drop feature to add files directly.
Step 3: change the output format and settings.
- Click on the edit button after Target to change File Name and Output path -> click OK -> click on the edit button under Target to select Video tab, MPEG, and choose a resolution.
- You can also click on the down arrow after Output in the bottom left corner to change the storage path of all loaded MP4 files. Then, click on the down arrow after Convert all files to to select MPEG with a preferred resolution.
The default Output path is C:UsersusernameDocumentsMiniTool Video Converteroutput.
Step 4: convert MP4 to MPEG.
- Click on the Convert button on the right end of each file to convert one MP4 video at a time.
- You can also click on the Convert All button in the lower right corner to batch convert multiple files simultaneously.
After that, you should wait for the conversion process to end. You’ll see a success notification when it is finished.
Step 5: check the converted MPEG files.
- You should shift to the Converted tab and click on the Show in folder button to access the output folder directly.
- Also, you can open File Explorer and navigate to the Output path manually.
After that, you can try to play the converted video files if you like.
How to Convert MP4 to MPEG on Mac
If you want to convert MP4 to MPEG (or vise versa) on a Mac computer, you can search for converters that can be used on Mac:
- Get the converter and launch it on your Mac.
- Browse and add MP4 files you want to convert.
- Select MPEG as the output format.
- Start converting and wait for it to complete.
If you want to convert any video format to and from MP4 video in order to play it on iPhone, iPod, and Apple TV, you should use converters like Free MP4 Converter available in Mac App Store.
How to Convert MPG to MP4
When you want to convert MPG to MP4 (convert MPEG to MP4), you’ll ask questions like these: is there any free MPG to MP4 converter, what should I do to perform the conversion, etc.
Luckily, the MiniTool Video Converter can also work as an MPG to MP4 converter and the steps to convert a video file from MPG/MPEG to MP4 are the same as the steps to convert MP4 to MPEG.
Some people need to convert files from MPEG to MP4 due to certain reasons; luckily, there are a lot of tools and online converters available.
Other Free MP4 to MPEG Converters
There are many free converters provided for both Windows and Mac users to convert MP4 to or from MPEG. You can open your browser to search for the right software. Then, you should learn a little about it; for instance, the performance, compatibility, stability, and security. After that, you should install the software on your computer properly and run it to start converting videos.
Here, I’d like to introduce 2 popular free MP4 to MPEG converters: FormatFactory and VLC; they can also be used as the MPEG/MPG to MP4 converters. Let’s see how to convert a video file by using these converters on Windows.
Convert Videos Using FormatFactory
How to convert MP4 to MPG using FormatFactory:
- Download the software.
- Double click on the setup file to start the installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish installing the converter.
- Run it and wait until you see the main interface.
- The Video column will be selected by default in the left pane.
- You should click -> AVI WMV MPG … under it. (the file types may be different) To convert MPG to MP4, you should click -> MP4.
- Select MPG from the drop-down menu after Output Format. You can also click on the Output Setting button to change advanced settings.
- Click on Add Files button to open the Please select files window.
- Navigate to the location where you saved the MP4 video.
- Select the file and click Open.
- Click on the Folder icon at the bottom or click on the down arrow on the left side of it & select Add Folder.
- Define a storage path for the converted files.
- Click Select Folder.
- Click on the OK button in the lower right corner.
- Click Start located at the top and wait for the conversion to finish.
Convert Videos Using VLC
The VLC converter is embedded in the VLC media player to help users convert files conveniently.
How to convert MPEG to MP4 using the VLC media player:
- Download and install the software properly on your device under guidance.
- Double click on the shortcut icon added to your PC desktop to run the VLC media player.
- Select Media from the top menu bar.
- Choose Convert / Save from the drop-down menu to show the Open Media window. You can also press Ctrl + R directly to open it.
- Click on the + Add button to open the Select one or multiple files window.
- Browse your drive and navigate to the target MPEG video file.
- Select it and click Open.
- Click on the Convert / Save button at the bottom.
- Look for the Settings section in the Convert window.
- Click on the down arrow after Profile to open the drop-down menu.
- Select the MP4 format you need: 264 + MP3 or H.265 + MP3.
- Move to the Destination section and click on the Browse button.
- Navigate to the folder where you’d like to keep the converted file.
- Give the file a new name and click Save.
- Click on the Start button and wait for the conversion to end.
MP4 to MPEG Converter Online
How to Search for MP4 to MPEG Converter
Not surprisingly, you can find a lot of free online converters on the internet.
- Open a browser on your computer. For instance, double click on the desktop icon of Google Chrome to open.
- Visit Google as you usually do.
- Type MP4 to MPG, MP4 to MPEG, MP4 to MPG converter, or MP4 to MPEG converter into the search box.
- Press Enter and the results will be shown to you within 1 second.
How to Convert Videos Online
- Click on any search result and you’ll be brought to the corresponding online converter.
- Upload the video file you want to convert: click on the corresponding button (Choose File, Choose Files, Browse, etc.) -> navigate to the file storage path -> select the target file and click Open.
- Select an output format: click on the down arrow to show the formats list -> select a format you need.
- Start file conversion: look for the Convert button that appeared just now and click on it.
- Wait for the conversion process to complete.
Some of the popular online converters for you to choose (the list is in no particular order):
There may be chances that you want to convert a file from one format to another, right? In this article, we introduced MP4, MPG, and MPEG to you at first. Then, we told you how to perform the conversion from MP4 to MPG (also known as MPEG) or vise versa by using MiniTool Video Converter. After that, we provided two other converter software that can also help you convert files. Finally, we showed you how to search for online converters and how to use them to convert step by step (some frequently used converters are listed).