What is a 3GP file? A 3GP file is a multimedia file saved in an audio and video container format developed by the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) and it was designed from the beginning to save as much space as possible for fast file transfer between mobile devices. To convert 3GP files, try MiniTool Video Converter.
What Is a 3GP File
A 3GP file is a multimedia file developed by the Third Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). The 3GP file format stores video streams as MPEG-4 Part, H.263 or MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264), and audio streams as AMR-NB, AMR-WB, AMR-WB+, AAC-LC, HE-AAC v1 or HE-AAC v2.
3GP files are often used on 3G mobile phones but also can be played on 2G and 4G phones. The 3GP video file format was developed to save disk space, bandwidth, and data usage, so they are often created, used, and converted between mobile devices.
Related article: 5 Best HEVC Players – How to Open HEVC Video Files
How to Open a 3GP File
Almost all modern smartphones and mobile devices can open 3GP files. And if the 3GP files are transferred to a computer, you can open them with a variety of video players, such as 5KPlayer.
5KPlayer is a user-friendly media player that can play 3GP files in just a few steps. Besides, 5KPlayer can also play music in various audio formats. Even better, 5KPlayer is a powerful online downloader that allows you to download online videos from more than 300 sites.
Step 1. Free to download and install 5KPlayer on your computer.
Step 2. After launching it, add the 3GP file to the program. There are several ways to import your 3GP files as listed below. Choose the one you prefer.
- Click the Video icon, choose the 3GP file that you want to play, and then press Open.
- Go to the File tab and click Media File to open the 3GP file.
- Drag and drop the 3GP file from your local computer to the main interface of 5KPlayer.
- Right-click on your 3GP file, select Open with… and then choose 5KPlayer.
Step 3. Now, you can enjoy your 3GP videos or movies.
Recommend post: H.264 vs H.265, What Is the Difference & Which Is Better?
Best 3GP Converter – MiniTool Video Converter
MiniTool Video Converter is a 100% free and safe video/audio converter, which allows you to convert 3GP files easily. Just upload your 3GP file to the program and you'll have to option to convert the file to the other format, such as MP4, FLV, WEBM, WMV, MOV, MP3, WAV, FLAC, etc.
This freeware also lets you choose the device you want to convert it to. This is really helpful if you’re not sure which formats your device supports. Besides, it is also capable of downloading YouTube content.
Steps on how to convert 3GP files with MiniTool Video Converter:
- Run this free converter on your PC.
- Go to the Video Convert tab and import the 3GP file that you want to convert.
- Click the diagonal arrow under Target.
- Select an output format for the file and then choose a quality preset.
- Tap on the Convert button to start the conversion.
- Once finished, navigate to the Converted tab and locate the converted file by clicking Show in folder.
What is the best video converter? This post list 10 best video converters, free and paid. Why not choose one that meets all your needs?
The above describes everything you should know about 3GP files. Hope this article is helpful to you. If you have any questions or suggestions about it, please let us know via [email protected] or share them in the comments section below.