How to convert MPG to MP4 free of charge? How to open MPG files? In this post, I’ll give you 5 MPG to MP4 converters (including MiniTool Video Converter) and teach you how to use them step by step. If you just want to open MPG files on your device, here also offers you a guide on how to play MPG files on Windows and Mac.
MPG files aren’t compatible with all video players. If you have some MPG files that can’t be opened on your computer, the best solution is to convert MPG to MP4. Here, I’m going to tell you the top 5 ways to convert MPG videos to MP4.
Before that, I’d like to give you a brief introduction to “what is an MPG file”.
Part 1. What Is an MPG File
An MPG file stores compressed audio & video data and keeps high quality. It has a smaller file size but maintains the high-quality content which is commonly used for online distribution. However, an MPG file can only be opened with certain media players. To make it compatible with your device, you’d better convert MPG to the most popular format – MP4.
Part 2. Top 5 Ways to Convert MPG to MP4
This part offers 5 MPG to MP4 converters that help with the MPG to MP4 conversion.
Top 5 MPG to MP4 Converters You Should Try
- MiniTool Video Converter
- MiniTool MovieMaker
Convert MPG to MP4 on Windows
For Windows users, here provide you with 2 simple and watermark-free MPG to MP4 converters.
MiniTool Video Converter
An excellent MPG to MP4 converter should have the following features: supports numerous conversion formats, offers fast conversion speed, and easy to use. So, I strongly recommend MiniTool Video Converter which can meet all your conversion needs. This conversion tool supports more than 1,000 video & audio conversions and the conversion between video and audio.
The supported input and output video formats are MP4, MPG, MOV, MKV, WMV, AVI, XVID, ASF, DIVX, TS, MXF, MPEG, FLV, M2TS, etc.
The supported input and output video formats are MP3, WAV, WMA, AAC, AIFF, OGG, M4A, M4B, M4R, and AC3.
Now, let’s see how to convert MPG to MP4 with MiniTool Video Converter.
Step 1. Launch MiniTool Video Converter.
First, download the program by clicking the Free Download button and follow the instructions to install it on the computer. After the installation, launch MiniTool Video Converter.
Step 2. Import the MPG file.
On the main user interface, you can choose to Add Files or Add Folder by clicking the down arrow icon to import the MPG file or the folder saving MPG files.
Step 3. Choose the MP4 format.
After adding the MPG file, click on Convert all files to to open the output format window. From the output format window, switch to the Video tab and you will find the MP4 format is checked by default. Then select the desired quality to go on, or click on Create Custom to customize the video parameters like resolution, audio encoder, frame rate, bit rate, etc.
Step 4. Convert MPG to MP4.
Next, press on Convert All to convert MPG video to MP4. After finishing the conversion, you can check the converted file in the Converted tab.
- Support converting video and audio files.
- Batch convert video & audio files simultaneously.
- Allow you to customize the output format.
- Convert video for Instagram, Vimeo, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Download YouTube videos in MP4, MP3, WebM, etc.
- Offer a super-fast conversion speed.
- 100% free and reliable without watermarks.
MiniTool MovieMaker is a free simple video editor. It can be used to edit videos as well as change video format. It supports MP4, MPG, AVI, MOV, WEBM, GIF, MP3 and other formats. In that case, you are able to convert MPG to MP4, AVI to MP4, WebM to MP4, WMV to MP4, MKV to MP4, etc. The simple interface makes it easy to finish the conversion.
Apart from that, this MPG to MP4 converter allows you to extract MP3 from the MPG file and remove audio from MPG video.
Follow the step-by-step guide below to convert MPG to MP4.
Step 1. Download MiniTool MovieMaker and install it on the computer.
Step 2. Run this converter on your computer and close the pop-up window to access the main user interface.
Step 3. Click on Import Media Files to browse files and import the MPG file that needs to be converted. Then drag and drop it to the timeline. Or choose the MPG file and click the “+” on the video thumbnail to add the video to the timeline.
Step 4. (Optional) Edit the MPG video:
Cut the video: Move the playhead to where you want to cut and click the scissor icon.
Trim the video: Drag the start or end point of the video to the right or the left.
Mute the video: Click the speaker icon on the video to mute the video.
Reverse video: Click on the speed controller icon and select the Reverse option.
Step 5. After that, press on Export in the menu bar.
Step 6. From the Export window, you can change the file name, save path and resolution. Then click the Export button to export MPG to MP4.
- Support any popular video, audio and image format.
- Convert video into other formats and extract audio from video.
- Packed with editing features like rotating, flipping, splitting, trimming, reversing, changing video speed, etc.
- Offer movie templates, text templates, titles, credits and motion effects.
- Free of charge, no watermarks.
Convert MPG to MP4 on Mac
For mac users, Handbrake and VLC are worth a try! They are free and open-source, available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Handbrake is a versatile MPG to MP4 converter. It can convert any common video to MP4, MKV or WEBM format. The supported common video formats are MPG, MP4, M4V, MKV, MPEG, AVI, and WMV.
Here’s how to convert MPG to MP4 with Handbrake.
Step 1. Open Handbrake after installing it on your computer.
Step 2. Go to the Open Source tab to import the MPG file that you want to convert.
Step 3. Press on Browse and choose a folder to save the converted file.
Step 4. Make sure that the MP4 format is checked in the Format box.
Step 5. Next, configure the output settings in the Video tab such as changing video quality, frame rate, bit rate, etc.
Step 6. Finally, start the conversion and export the MP4 file.
- Convert MPG to MP4, MKV, or WEBM.
- Can add subtitles to video, resize video, compress video and crop video.
- Offer multiple video filters like Detelecine, Deblock, Decomb, Grayscale and more.
- Free and open-source.
VLC, the best MPG to MP4 converter for Mac, can help with the most video & audio conversions. Here’s how to convert MPG to MP4 with VLC.
Step 1. Download, install and launch VLC on the computer.
Step 2. Click on the Media button in the menu bar and choose the Convert / Save… option from the drop-down list.
Step 3. Click on Add to import the MPG file and tap on Convert / Save to continue.
Step 4. Go to the Profile box and select the MP4 format from the Profile list.
Step 5. Choose a new save path by clicking Browse, and then rename the MPG file.
Step 6. In the end, hit the Start button to convert MPG to MP4.
- Support any video and audio conversions.
- Come with some basic editing features.
- Can record video, take a screenshot, and download streaming videos.
- It’s available for Android and iOS.
Convert MPG to MP4 Online
If you need to convert MPG to MP4 without installing any program on the computer, you can convert MPG to MP4 online. As there are many online video converters on the market, to save your time, here recommend using CloudConvert.
As an online MPG to MP4 converter, CloudConvert lets you convert MPG to MP4 effortlessly. With it, you can convert any video or audio to MP4 format.
Below is the guide on how to convert MPG to MP4.
Step 1. Open your web browser and enter the CloudConvert website.
Step 2. Select the MPG format in the first box and the MP4 format in the second box to launch the MPG to MP4 converter.
Step 3. Click the Select File button to upload the MPG file.
Step 4. Tap on Convert to convert MPG to MP4.
Step 5. After the conversion is done, download the converted file from CloudConvert.
- Support over 200+ formats.
- Convert video, audio, image, eBook, font, CAD, document, and vector into another format.
- Allow you to trim video and add subtitles to video, and change the aspect ratio online.
- Convert MPG to MP4 without sign-up requirements.
Part 3. How to Open MPG Files
If you want to play MPG files on your computer instead of changing the MPG file format, you can use VLC Media Player to open MPG files. If you don’t want to install any third-party software on the computer, you can also open the MPG file with the Movie & TV app, but you need to install the MPEG-2 Video Extension first. For mac users, they can open MPG files with QuickTime Player.
After reading this post, you must know how to convert MPG to MP4. Now, choose a video converter you like and try it out!
If you have any questions about MiniTool Video Converter, leave a comment below or contact us via [email protected].
MPG to MP4 FAQ
- Double click VLC Media Player to open it.
- Click on Media > Open File… to open the MPG file. Or drag the MPG file to VLC.
- Then the MPG video starts playing.
- Open the web browser and visit the ZAMZAR website.
- Then, click Add Files… to add the TS file and select the MP4 format from the Convert To.
- Hit the Convert Now button to start the TS to MP4.
- Once done, download the converted file off the internet.
- MPEG is often used for creating movies, while MP4 is used for sharing videos on the web.
- MP4 can store subtitles, still images, and other data while MPEG cannot.
- MP4 has better compatibility than MPEG.
- Download and install a QuickTime converter like VLC.
- Open VLC and go to Media > Convert / Save… to add the MOV file.
- Choose the target format MP4 from the Profile list.
- Then choose a folder to save the converted file and rename the file.
- Click on Start to convert MOV to MP4.