If you never used HP before, you may have a lot of questions want to ask. For instance, we recently find many people are asking on the internet about how to screenshot on HP. They want to capture an image of the HP screen but don’t know how. Several easy ways are introduced here to teach people how to take screenshots on HP laptops, desktops, and tablets.
People Need to Screenshot on HP Laptop
One of the best ways to keep important information, grab error codes (error messages) or moments, and show others what you want to express is taking a screenshot. A picture is more vivid and easy to understand than words; besides, it will prevent you from messing up with important information. You can take a screenshot on different devices with different tools and methods. The following content focuses on how to screenshot on HP. Whether you're using a desktop, laptop, or tablet, there are solutions suitable for you to screenshot HP.
Many people want to screen shot on HP laptop. However, they don’t know how to screenshot on HP laptop or HP desktop? Don’t worry if you don’t know what to do. The following methods focus on how to screenshot on HP computer; they are suitable for you to gain an HP screenshot easily whether you’re using an HP desktop or laptop computer.
FYI: please click on the following link if you want to know how to screenshot on Acer laptop.
Do you know how to screenshot on an Acer laptop or Chromebook? If not, please read the methods mentioned on this page.
Method 1: Use the Print Screen Key
How to take a screenshot on an HP laptop? The free and default way is to use the Print Screen key on your keyboard.
- In general, HP labels this key as prt sc on its laptop keyboard. You can find this Print Screen key on the left side of the delete key.
- If you’re using an HP desktop computer, you may find the PrtScr button in the upper-right-hand corner and there’s a SysRq sign below it.
However, both the name and the location of the Print Screen key on the HP computer are not fixed. You may it named as PrtScn, PrtSc, PrntScrn, Print Scr, Prt Scrn, Print Scrn, or Pr Sc in different models. As for the location, the Print Screen key is always located in the top row, either near or among the Function keys.
In addition, you may fail to find the Print Screen key on your keyboard sometimes; instead, its function is replaced by the Fn key.
Step 1: Take a Screenshot
How to Take a Screenshot on HP: Capture the Entire Screen
- Minimize all opening windows on your HP computer or click to show the desktop.
- Only open the app or webpage that you want to screenshot.
- Press Windows + Print Screen at the same time on the keyboard.
- Your screen will dim for a moment; this means you have got an HP snapshot successfully.
- The HP screenshot will be saved to the Screenshots folder as well as your clipboard.
This works for Windows 10 users. What to do if you’re running a Windows 7 HP?
- Close/minimize unnecessary apps and open the ones you need.
- Make sure your screen is displaying the information that you want to screenshot.
- Locate the Print Screen key on your keyboard and press it.
- The HP screenshot will be saved to your clipboard temporarily.
A lot of people are asking the same question on the internet - how to record video on Windows 10; this page introduces several useful ways.
How to Screenshot on an HP Laptop: Capture an Active Window
How to take a screenshot on HP laptop if you only need the active window information? You don’t need to minimize all the windows opening on your HP desktop or click to show desktop.
- Just open the target app or webpage.
- Locate the information that you want to capture and make sure the window is now active.
- Press Alt + Print Screen on your keyboard.
- The screenshot image will be saved automatically.
Step 2: View the Screenshot
How to view the screenshot you took? There are mainly 2 ways.
View in an app (works for all versions of Windows):
- Please don’t do anything except for opening an app that allows you to insert or edit an image. For instance, Microsoft Paint, Microsoft Office Word, Photoshop, etc.
- Right click on the blank area & select Paste or press Ctrl + V directly in the opening program. Your screenshot image will be paste there immediately.
- Now, you may edit the image according to needs if you want. Then, you can choose to save the image in PNG, JPEG, GIF (or other available formats) by pressing Ctrl + S or clicking on the corresponding button.
- Give the screenshot a file name so that you can find it easily later.
Of course, you can download a professional third-party image editor to modify your screenshot when you have higher requirements.
View in the Screenshots folder (works for Windows 10/8):
- Open File Explorer on Windows 10 or Windows 8 computer (it’s previously named Windows Explorer). The most direct way is to press Windows + E.
- Scroll down in the left pane to find This PC section.
- Click on the Pictures option under it.
- Navigate to the right pane and double click on the folder named Screenshots.
- All the screenshots took on your HP laptop or desktop computer will be displayed here.
- Please double click on any screenshot to view it with your default image viewer. Also, you can right click on the screenshot -> navigate to Open with -> select a program to open it.
Method 2: Use Windows Built-in Screenshot Software
How to screenshot on an HP? Microsoft has ever provided a lot of tools to help users take screenshots on Windows: the built-in screenshot utility and third-party screenshot software which you can get from the Microsoft Store. This part focuses on showing you how to screenshot on HP desktop & how to screenshot on laptop HP without downloading a third-party screen capture tool.
Option 1: Snip & Sketch
How to Open Snip & Sketch
Two of the simplest, most direct, and most commonly used methods are:
- Open Windows search feature by pressing Windows + S or in other ways -> type in Snip & Sketch -> select Snip & Sketch from the search result or press Enter when it’s under Best match.
- Press Windows + Shift + S simultaneously on your keyboard.
How to Use Snip & Sketch
How to take screenshot on HP laptop using the Snip & Sketch tool:
- The small Snip & Sketch control pane will appear. Your screen will dim and your cursor will change from a pointing cursor to a crosshair cursor.
- The Rectangular Snip will be selected by default. You can keep it unchanged or select Freeform Snip, Window Snip, or Fullscreen Snip if you want.
- Choose the portion of the screen you want to capture by clicking the mouse and dragging the cursor.
- A notification will appear in the lower right corner to inform you Snip saved to clipboard.
- You can click on the notification to open the Snip & Sketch app to view the screenshot you took. Also, you can open a program that allows you to insert an image and press Ctrl + V to show the HP screenshot.
After that, you should choose to edit the screenshot image or not, based on your needs. Finally, save the screenshot to a safe location.
Option 2: Snipping Tool
How to print screen on HP laptop by using Snipping Tool:
- Open the Snipping Tool on your Windows PC from the Start menu or using Windows search/Run/Command Prompt/Windows PowerShell.
- Click New in the upper left corner of the Snipping Tool pane or press Ctrl + N to start capturing your HP screen.
- Click and drag your mouse cursor to contain the information you need on your screen.
- Click on the Save Snip button (represented by a floppy disk icon) at the top of the Snipping Tool window to save the screenshot. You can also click File -> Save As to save your screenshot.
- Besides, you can click Send Snip to send the screenshot through Microsoft Outlook or click Edit with Paint 3D to modify the picture. (Optional)
- Select Portable Network Graphic file (PNG), GIF file, JPEG file, or Single file HTML (MHT) from the drop-down menu of Save as type.
- Click Save to confirm your selection.
What else you should know about the Windows Snipping Tool?
- Please click Mode to select from Freeform Snip, Rectangular Snip, and Window Snip.
- Or click Delay to select a time that the app will wait to take a screenshot.
- After seeing the Snipping Tool is moving notification, you can choose to click Try Snip & Sketch or continue to use this tool.
Method 3: Get MiniTool Video Converter
How do you screenshot on a HP laptop with a third-party tool? Firstly, you should download the software from a safe link and install it properly on your HP laptop; then, use the tool to take a screenshot according to your actual needs.
Step 1: Download & Install the Screenshot Software
- Please click the download button below to get the screen capture software directly. Or go to know more about MiniTool Video Converter and then decide to download it or not.
- Please choose a safe location with enough free space to save the software.
- Navigate to the storage path and double click on the setup file to initialize software installation.
- Click Install Now to install the software directly or click Custom Installation before that to change the Language and Installation Path.
Step 2: Capture Your HP Screen
How to screenshot HP laptop?
First, you should open the MiniTool Screen Recorder pane:
- Open the software: you can click on the Start Now button at the end of the software installation process or double click on the software icon later.
- Click Screen Record at the top of the software.
- There’s a dotted box in the middle; it says Click to record screen.
- Please click on it to open the MiniTool Screen Recorder control window.
Second, you should start recording your screen:
- Click on the down arrow on the left side to select Full screen or Select region.
- Modify System Audio in the middle.
- Open the app or window you want to capture; make sure it’s displaying the information you want.
- Click on the red Record button on the right side to start recording your HP screen.
- Wait for the 3-seconds countdown to end and you can capture your HP according to needs.
If you want to customize the output path, output format, recording hotkeys, or other things, please click on the Settings icon in the upper right corner of the MiniTool Screen Recorder control pane.
Third, you should view the video capture.
- Press F6 on the keyboard while you finish recording.
- The video capture will be listed.
- You can view the video by double clicking on it or right clicking on it & select Preview. The video will be played in your default media player on PC.
- To view it in File Explorer, you should click on the Open folder icon at the bottom left.
You can fix the problem yourself when seeing the error message Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file.
How to Take Screenshot on HP Tablet
HP tablet is also very popular among users, in addition to HP desktop and laptop computers. How to print screen on HP if you’re using a tablet? Please follow the methods & steps mentioned in this part.
The Default Way
The following steps work whether your HP tablet operates on Windows or Android.
- Display the information you want to screenshot on an HP tablet.
- Press & hold the Power button and the Volume Down button simultaneously.
- Your screen will flash after about 2 seconds; a screenshot has been taken.
- Please navigate to the Photos folder on your tablet to view the screenshot.
Using Super Screenshot
Also, you can download a third-party screenshot app to help you. For instance, Super Screenshot, which allows you to take a screenshot of the desired area and offers a share button & some advanced features.
HP laptop, HP desktop, and HP tablet are popular devices you can see everywhere. No matter what device you're using, you are allowed to take screenshots on it easily. This page shows all people how to take a screenshot on an HP (desktop, laptop, and tablet) by using different methods and tools. Please read it with care if you also don’t know how to screenshot on HP.
FYI: resetting HP laptop is an effective way to fix many problems found on it.