STL and OBJ are the commonly used formats for 3D printing. How to convert STL to OBJ and vice versa? In this post, you will know how to convert STL to OBJ or OBJ to STL on different platforms.
What is STL? What is OBJ? According to Wikipedia, STL is a file format native to the stereolithography CAD software developed by 3D Systems. OBJ is a geometry definition file format developed by Wavefront Technologies. Most CAD software and 3D printing software supports STL and OBJ format.
Convert STL to OBJ on Windows or Mac
Autodesk Meshmixer, MeshLab, and Blender are the best free STL to OBJ converters for Windows and macOS. Let’s see how to use them to convert STL to OBJ with ease.
Autodesk Meshmixer is a free yet powerful 3D modeling software. It’s can be used to create and edit 3D files for 3D printing and convert STL to OBJ, OBJ to STL, OBJ to DAE, etc.
Here’s a quick guide:
- Open the Autodesk Meshmixer app and click on Import to import the STL file you want to convert.
- Then you can modify the STL file as needed.
- After that, click on Export and choose OBJ as the output format.
- Choose a destination folder and press on Save to export the STL file to OBJ.
MeshLab is a free and open-source system for processing and editing 3D triangular meshes. It offers a set of 3D editing tools and supports the following input/output formats: STL, OBJ, PLY, 3DS, X3D, VRML 2.0 and COLLADA.
Here’s how to convert STL to OBJ with MeshLab.
- Open this STL to OBJ converter and load the STL file by tapping on Import Mesh.
- After you import the STL file, you can edit the model. Then render the model.
- In the end, go to Export Mesh As > OBJ and click on Save to start the STL to OBJ conversion.
Blender, a free 3D computer graphics software, is widely used for creating 3D printed models, animated films, visual effects and so on. It supports importing and exporting 3D file formats like OBJ, DXF, 3DS, STL, and more.
Take the following steps to convert STL to OBJ.
- Launch the software after the installation and tap on Import to load the STL file.
- Next, edit and render the model.
- Lastly, click on Export and choose the OBJ Click the Export OBJ button to save the STL file in OBJ format.
Convert STL to OBJ & OBJ to STL Online
AnyConv is a web-based file converter that can convert STL to OBJ, OBJ to STL, DAE to OBJ, and 3DS to OBJ online for free.
- Visit the AnyConv website and upload the STL file.
- Select OBJ from the output format list and click CONVERT.
- When the conversion is complete, download the converted file to your device.
STL and OBJ are ideal 3D file formats to store information about 3D models. Whether you want to convert STL to OBJ or OBJ to STL, this post always meets your needs!